Monday, October 23, 2017

Relic Arm Has Been Constructed!

In order to get the relic in the recovery zone, we needed a way to extend 32 inches past the wall, so we developed a scissor arm. A problem we encountered while building the relic arm was that it wasn't strong enough when partially extended, making the arm extremely flimsy. First we tried adding washers to make it stronger, but then we figured it would be better to position the arm vertically, not horizontally, for added strength. Then we powered it using fishing line and a motor that when it rotated in one direction, it pulled the ends of the arm closer, and when rotated in the other direction, it would push the ends apart, thus allowing us to extend and retract the arm.